In South Africa we are blessed with good weather, famous for our sunshine with an average rainfall, we are not accustomed to the heavy rainfalls and storms our country has recently been facing.
Who can blame us? That’s why when we hit with bad weather most of us are not equipped on how to drive. That’s why we’ve listed tips you should take note of for when driving in bad weather.
Driving in heavy rain:
Poor visibility accompanies heavy rain, and this has the potential for you to lose control of your car. Follow these tips to help you stay safe:
- Place both hands on the steering wheel
- Take your time: Slow down or wait for the storm to clear
- Turn your lights on: Switch your headlights on to help other vehicles see you, even if it’s in broad daylight
- Slow down: Give other vehicles more space, this will give other drivers more time to react to traffic
- Try and stop out of the road – if possible and wait for the storm to blow over.
Driving in heavy wind:
This will particularly apply in windy cities like Cape Town. More common in wide and open spaces, you should particularly take care on highways, overpasses and tunnels. These tips will keep you on the road and safe:
- Keep a firm grips and both hands on the steering wheel: These conditions are likely to move your vehicle
- Take special care when driving through areas prone to strong wind
- Be aware of larger vehicles like trucks and trailers. These vehicles are more susceptible to winds and have difficulty staying in their lanes.
Remember to keep an eye out for other drivers and slow down, rather arrive late than never.
To ensure your car is safe this season, have a look at these car insurance and motor warranty deals.
Fill in your details and we will provide you with quotes!
[contact-form-7 id=”5410″ title=”Car Insurance”]