Johannesburg, a thriving city in South Africa, is often viewed as one of the most expensive places to live. With no beach and a lot of entertainment that could cost you, we’ve managed to find a range of things to do that wont cost you a ridiculous amount!
Here’s our list of some really rad places and things to do this summer for less than R100:
- Kitchener’s Comedy Night R20: Have a good laugh with some live comedy for just R20 on a Tuesday night at Kitchener’s Cavery in Braamfontein.
- Orlando Towers R30: Out for a bit of adventure? Climb these beautiful towers, a landmark right outside the urban township of Soweto and jump off them.
- Sci-Bono Discovery Centre R35: A repurposed power station turned world-class science centre will teach you the evolution of science, helping you get quiz ready!
- Johannesburg Botanical Gardens (Free): If you’re looking to lay down, read a book or just wonder about, the Botanical Gardens is a breath-taking public space to have a relaxing picnic.
- Gilroy Beer Tasting (R80): Go on a beer journey with award-winning brewer Steve Gilroy in Muldersdrift.
- Grounded at Echo (R45-R55): Can I have my cake and my Zulu lessons too? Learn how to speak Zulu every Monday from 5pm to 6pm, and grab a piece of cake.
- The not-dead poetry society (R30): Feeling like you need to express your love or creativity? Die Dowe Digter is an ideal platform where creatives alike get together to spread their love for poetry.
Wonderboom Nature reserve (R25): Find your love for the environment at this nature reserve and meet a tree that’s 1 000 years old!